Our school is determined that every child will learn to read. Across the school, we carefully select stories, poems, rhymes and non-fiction to develop children’s vocabulary, language comprehension and love of reading. The teaching of reading in the Early Years and Key Stage 1 focuses on the quality teaching of systematic, synthetic phonics to enable children to become confident, fluent readers. Our phonics programme matches the expectations of the national curriculum and the early learning goals. We make rigorous and systematic use of Letters and Sounds as part of this. In the Early Years and KS1 every child practises reading with a scheme book, matched to the phonics programme. In addition to a scheme book, to support the love of reading, children also select a non-scheme sharing book to be shared with parents/carers.
- EYFS English Overview 2021-22 (284KB)
- Year 1 English Overview 2021-22 (492KB)
- Year 2 English Overview 2021-22 (593KB)
- Year 3 English Overview 2021-22 (707KB)
- Year 4 English Overview 2021-22 (751KB)
- Year 6 English Overview 2021-22 (599KB)